Providence Health & Services Registered Nurse (RN) Acute Care Charge in Walla Walla, Washington
Providence is calling a Registered Nurse (RN) Charge (Surgical Acute, Night Shift, 0.9 FTE) to Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
• Employs Nursing Professional Practice: Coordinates patient care activities on the nursing unit, provides immediate clinical oversight of staff members, and ensures that all daily departmental activities are completed, including on–going monitoring activities. Makes and adjusts patient care assignments based on patient care needs. Coordinates emergency interventions, clinical and administrative escalation as needed including communication to unit leadership as appropriate. Assesses, diagnoses, plans, implements and evaluates patients’ care. Develops, updates and coordinates the patient’s plan of care to achieve patient goals and to optimize outcomes and transitions across the care continuum. Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate. Performs and maintains currency of essential competencies as required by specific area of hire and populations served, including those specific to the ‘charge’ position.
• Advocates: Effectively advocates for ethical and holistic care by partnering in care planning to promote the autonomy, dignity, rights, values and beliefs of those we serve. Works closely with patients, families, staff members, and providers to obtain or disseminate information, provide education, and act as a clinical resource. Serves as a resource to staff on the unit to intervene on their behalf when needed, identify immediate resources, and communicate ongoing needs to shift or unit leadership.
• Facilitates Learning: Serves as role model for staff and assists staff in following established, best practice standards. Fosters a learning environment for patient/families, nursing, and other members of the healthcare team including students; facilitates formal and informal learning for patient/families, nursing, other members of the healthcare team, and community. Is a mentor for all members of the team facilitating orientation within the unit. Where applicable, collaborates with department management team, providing informal input into the evaluation of staff performance.
• Aligns Practice with Safety and Quality: Actively participates in performance improvement activities within the unit and with other departments. Investigates family and patient complaints and facilitates service recovery. Assures completion of required reporting involving patients and/or staff and is involved in follow-up as appropriate. Accountable for safety, identifies and corrects problems, and integrates evidence, and best practice into nursing care; uses data and evidence to improve patient outcomes and work flow processes. Aligns patient safety, self-safety and environmental safety as equally important for best outcomes.
• Engages in Professional Development: Models ongoing professional development; practices to the top of license within the legal parameters of the Nurse Practice Act, the Nursing Social Policy Statement, the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses, and specialty standards. Promotes a culture of inquiry that explores, integrates and disseminates research and evidence based practice.
• Leads in the Practice Setting & Community: Leads and coordinates department activities and teams, appropriately delegates, coordinates care and collaborates with others as equal members of the inter-professional care team to integrate nursing knowledge. Models professional behaviors as a representative of the nursing profession. Works with management team, representing leadership when making rounds on patients, identifying any real or potential patient care issues. Makes management team aware of any unusual incidents on the assigned unit.
• Staffing: Makes appropriate patient care and unit assignments, and delegates tasks according to staff competencies. Works with staff to coordinate meal and break times; relieving for breaks and/or RNs off the unit, as needed. Assesses unit productivity on a routine basis and makes adjustments in a timely manner to help ensure high quality safe patient care and effective stewardship. Collaborates with management team to help ensure staffing on current and subsequent shifts is appropriate, using existing guidelines. Provides input to unit leadership on patient acuity and nursing workload assessment. Communicate shift information and/or problems to the appropriate person.
Required qualifications for this position include:
Nursing degree/diploma required upon hire
All Registered Nurses without a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) must obtain a BSN or higher within 3 years of hire. RNs with 20 years of RN experience will not be required to obtain a BSN
Unencumbered Registered Nurse (RN) license in state(s) of hire, and wherever care is delivered. If RN holds a multistate license through the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC), the RN must adhere to the requirements of licensure in the new state(s) of hire
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification at time of hire
12 months experience with like population of hiring unit and demonstrated leadership accomplishments
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Previous charge nurse experience, to include leading teams
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington is a full service hospital with some of the best technology, expertise, specialists and primary care physicians in the region. We have been named the 100 top hospitals in the United States by two separate, independent research companies, Solucient and Cleverly Associates. Walla Walla is located in the southeastern region of Washington state and offers a sunny, mild climate, the benefits of living in a historic college town, outdoor activities and excellent public & private schools at all levels.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Medical/Surgical Nursing
Location: Washington-Walla Walla
Req ID: 240911